hool VHS tapes (I bet a lot of you don't even have a VCR in your house anymore, do you?). So, about a year and a half ago, I ordered a DVD Recorder/VHS combo machine because I wanted to convert all of our old family movies from VHS to DVD. Today I took it out of its UPS packaging (yes I had never even removed the UPS bag from around it!) and took it upstairs and hooked it up to the tv in one of our guestrooms. It only took me about 5 hours and about 10 DVD-R's but I figured out how to use it. And I am proud to say that I successfully created a dvd with 6 spots on it, all as their own title/file. Then I copied them to my computer, figured out how to convert them from VOD files (the file type that they are when they are recorded from VHS to DVD) to mpg files (the file type you need to have them as in order to do anything with them on a computer). THEN I uploaded them all to Flikr so that my co-workers in Austin, Texas could then download them and put them on our reel for our presentation! To some of you this may not sound very impressive, but it was a completely new thing for me and I learned it myself from scratch and am quite excited about it. Now I just need to use this newfound skill to get those old family movies over to DVD!
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Rock Star Techno-Genius, I am
Yes, you heard me right, I am SUCH the Rock-star Techno-genius. Today, the ad agency I work for was working on an RFP for a very large account that we are hoping to get. We needed some old TV spots that I produced for Sea World back when I worked at GSD&M to include as advertising samples from our team. Well, the only way I have those tv commercials is on old-sc
hool VHS tapes (I bet a lot of you don't even have a VCR in your house anymore, do you?). So, about a year and a half ago, I ordered a DVD Recorder/VHS combo machine because I wanted to convert all of our old family movies from VHS to DVD. Today I took it out of its UPS packaging (yes I had never even removed the UPS bag from around it!) and took it upstairs and hooked it up to the tv in one of our guestrooms. It only took me about 5 hours and about 10 DVD-R's but I figured out how to use it. And I am proud to say that I successfully created a dvd with 6 spots on it, all as their own title/file. Then I copied them to my computer, figured out how to convert them from VOD files (the file type that they are when they are recorded from VHS to DVD) to mpg files (the file type you need to have them as in order to do anything with them on a computer). THEN I uploaded them all to Flikr so that my co-workers in Austin, Texas could then download them and put them on our reel for our presentation! To some of you this may not sound very impressive, but it was a completely new thing for me and I learned it myself from scratch and am quite excited about it. Now I just need to use this newfound skill to get those old family movies over to DVD!
hool VHS tapes (I bet a lot of you don't even have a VCR in your house anymore, do you?). So, about a year and a half ago, I ordered a DVD Recorder/VHS combo machine because I wanted to convert all of our old family movies from VHS to DVD. Today I took it out of its UPS packaging (yes I had never even removed the UPS bag from around it!) and took it upstairs and hooked it up to the tv in one of our guestrooms. It only took me about 5 hours and about 10 DVD-R's but I figured out how to use it. And I am proud to say that I successfully created a dvd with 6 spots on it, all as their own title/file. Then I copied them to my computer, figured out how to convert them from VOD files (the file type that they are when they are recorded from VHS to DVD) to mpg files (the file type you need to have them as in order to do anything with them on a computer). THEN I uploaded them all to Flikr so that my co-workers in Austin, Texas could then download them and put them on our reel for our presentation! To some of you this may not sound very impressive, but it was a completely new thing for me and I learned it myself from scratch and am quite excited about it. Now I just need to use this newfound skill to get those old family movies over to DVD!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You ARE a techno-goddess! Now let's get moving on those home movies...
ReplyDelete